Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg Are Fed Up of Their City

Beschwerdechor Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg (The Complaints Choir of Hamburg-Wilhelmsburg) created a song with stronger political content and complaints about their city, since Wilhelmsburg – an island within Hamburg – faced a number of serious challenges in 2006. Many complaints were related directly to the city administration and the Mayor of Hamburg. The song was composed and conducted by Stefanie Ressin and accompanied by Richard Schlüter. Only one lady signed up to the first rehearsal, who then cancelled because she went into labour, so initially there was no one participating in this choir... until a group of people turned up late!



Lyrics

Verse 1:
The most absurd bicycle road of the town
leads directly into Wilhelmsburg.
Through dark tunnels, 1,000 potholes
and across some stairs at the Argentinienbrücke.

Bridge 1:
The mascara always gets smudgy
The tax declaration is too complicated
(repeat)

Chorus:
My flatmate sleeps with my ex-girlfriend
Not a single politician keeps his promises
My mother always worries too much
Ole von Beust just has the Hafencity project in his mind
My favourite underpants are out of stock - unfortunately,
the old ones already fall apart.
My lawn doesn't grow - the days are too short
The best movies are running much too late

The Hamburgers firmly believe 
that Wilhelmsburg is a prison colony
So much water but you can't get close to it
We don't want a new motorway at this island
Why is the customs fence not dismantled yet?
Why is talkshow host Christiansen bashing the unemployed?
Poor people getting poorer, rich ones getting richer,
there is plenty of debate but nothing gets done!

Verse 2:
Reduction of bureaucracy, awesome public parks,
small classes, new cinema, school and canal renovated,
language courses, modern integration policies, 
committed citizens will be heard.
(repeat)

Everything is just hot air!

Verse 3:
Suffrage must not be a privilege of the majority
I have too much time! I have too little time!
Germany's export rolls on motor trucks
past my bedroom window.

Bridge 2:
The Hamburg public transport organisation - HVV
don't get their buses and trains coordinated.
(repeat) 

[Chorus]

(noises) 
Quiet! Quiet! Quiet!

Everything is just too loud!

Verse 4:
Wherever I look: advertisement!
I am a slave of my habits!
I cannot be a man and a woman!
I have no ideas, that's normal for me!

(spoken):
Parent money starts in 2007 -
our child was born too early and we don't receive anything!
In Wilhelmsburg, there are too few cafés
where you can have breakfast.
I miss the discussion with my Turkish neighbour
The weather doesn't suit the seasons
People complain too much
The Reiherstieg Housing Coop enjoys terrorising tenants
Whenever I listen to music on the radio, I get sick
Quiet! Quiet! Quiet! It's too noisy everywhere!
I am more embarrassed to fart in the subway
than I am to throw batteries into the household waste.

Verse 5 (sung):
I always step into spittle
I have too little money
I am completely chaotic
The dog sh*t is disturbing

Verse 6:
Lidl, Penny, Aldi everywhere,
the other shops moved far away.
I would like to speak more languages
The air in Wilhelmsburg is bad

Bridge 3:
Nobody truly loves me
Too much trash is in the park
Why don't they sell buttermilk
at every commuter train station?
(repeat)

[Chorus]

The Hamburgers firmly believe 
that Wilhelmsburg is a prison colony
So much water but you can't get close to it
We don't want a new motorway at this island
Why is the customs fence not dismantled yet?
Why is talkshow host Christiansen bashing the unemployed?
Poor people getting poorer, rich ones getting richer,
(shouted): there is plenty of debate but nothing gets done!

Chart of complaints: